Monday, July 30, 2007

Rolling With The Changes

My poor wife. She's been wanting us to take a family trip to San Francisco for years. I've always been the whiner who said "Too cold!" This year when it came to planning a summer getaway, she just went ahead and did all the research, and proclaimed, "We're going."


Then the ankle incident (see my previous post.)


After days of talking it through, and once a hard cast was put on, we decided to be stupid and vacation in one of the hilliest cities in the country.


Let me just say that anybody who is in, or cares for someone in a wheelchair, you have my utmost respect. It's a whole different world. Escalators, cabs, planes, theaters, sidewalks, crosswalks and restaurants all require that additional planning that only temporarily or permanently disabled people can relate to.


But it was the reaction of the people around us that was the most different. Even though most people were trying their best to be nice, many people treated my wife as if her IQ had dropped 20 points. I noticed some people talking louder and slower to her. Then people would either yank their kids out of the way as if the wheelchair was a runaway train, or they would take over the wheelchair ramps on foot causing us to dodge out of their way. It was all very interesting.


Also the dynamic within our group changed. I remember back in the day how great it was when our daughter became old enough to sit in the front passenger seat of our car. It changed everything. Being in a wheelchair has the opposite effect. So as often as I could, (when we found the rare level ground in San Francisco) I would push the wheelchair with one hand while walking on the side of the chair so we could talk without Fran having to do a Linda Blair "Exorcist" move with her neck.


Not to be a pessimist, but more of a realist, this is probably a glimpse of life down the road. At some point we sit down and don't get to stand up again. But it doesn't really change who you are, just how you get there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great story, I am glad you posted that. My daughter broke her leg back in 2001 when she was 11 years old. She was of course confined to a wheelchair and the looks and stares we would get from people in the stores was horrible! I felt awful, like I was a bad parent. She noticed it too and said "Mom, people stare at me and they look at you like you abuse me." They were not very compassionate to her situation and would not make room for us to pass or say anything pleasant. Just stares & sighs of disgust as if we were such an inconvenience to them. It is a shame that people look upon other people in that manner simply because they are in a wheelchair. As you stated, it does not change who you are, just how you get there. It didn't make my daughter less of a person, just an injured person so I did have a newfound respect & understanding for those who are in wheelchairs permanently. Thanks for sharing, perhaps it will help open peoples eyes...

Have a mix day
~Laura Neudorffer :o)

PS- Love you guys in the morning!

Anonymous said...

I am so very glad you posted and spoke about your experience of when your wife being in a wheelchair.

My story – I was involved in a major accident 8/05 and was in a wheelchair for months afterwards. The way people treated me while in the wheelchair was unbelievable to say the least. When I told friends, they all said I was making more of it, that it was all in my head.

I can remember going into a store to purchase home appliances and having the sales people talk to the adult that was with me and completely ignore me, the person in the wheelchair. This one time, no matter how many times my mother told the sales person that they needed to talk to me since I was the one doing the buying, within minutes the would turn towards her and talk.

Wherever we went there was always people staring, moving out of the way as if I had the plague or completely ignoring me as if I wasn’t there at all.

The time I spent in the wheelchair was such an eye opening event for my children, my parents and of course me. After hearing what you went through, I now know it wasn’t just me.

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott...

I love your blogs so where have ya been? Have not seen an update since July. I listen to you guys in the mornings while I get ready for work. Nice way to start a day!!
Ashmystir
http://www.mytrivialramblings.blogspot.com/