Monday, June 4, 2007

Kids Today

When people ask me how old our daughter is, I get a predictable reaction when I answer "15". There's a slow shaking of the head, and words like "Good luck," or "Don't worry, they grow out of it."


Now while I wish sometimes that the argument was back to "Why can't I watch 10 more minutes of Barney?" vs. "Why can't I go to an R rated movie like all my friends," I must stand up for teenagers. They're not all bad.

Here's an example. The other day I picked up our daughter and her friend from a party. As we pulled up to the friend's house to drop her off, she noticed a car in the driveway and said, "Yea! Mom's home!" How cool is that?
Just when you think that kids today would rather text than talk, would rather instant message than hug, and would rather be heading out, than coming home, there's hope. Not all of them think we're from another planet sent here to make their lives miserable. Don't write it off as a loss. Stay close. As they get older, give your children room to find themselves, but don't make them have to work to find you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree completely! My son is the same age as your daughter and I've gone through the years with you as you described events in her life and her growing up, camp, new schools, moving to new houses, etc.
The other day he talked about going out on dates when he's a little older (he's not ready to 'commit' yet thank goodness) and tells me I will get to come with him and his date on their outings!! He said "who wouldn't want to be with you - you are a lot of fun and my friends love you." I didn't have the heart to let my boy know that a gal doesn't appreciate a "momma's boy" THAT much......Well, maybe only Lulu, Kirk's girlfriend on Gilmore Girls does.

Anonymous said...

thats me!